The most toxic sunscreen (and safer options)A 2014 Environmental Working Group guide IDs some safer sunscreen brands.
Safer sunscreen is readily available, and you don't have to do a lot of homework to find it, thanks to Environmental Working Group's (EWG's) 8th annual guide to sunscreens. The report comes at a time when melanoma--the most serious type of skin cancer--rates are on the rise.
"Many sunscreens offer inadequate protection from the sun and can contain toxic ingredients, to boot," says Sonya Lunder, senior research analyst at EWG. "This guide offers users much-needed, well-sourced information so they can make the right choices to protect themselves and their families."
A whopping two-thirds of sunscreens analyzed by EWG researchers either didn't work well or contained potentially hazardous ingredients, including vitamin A and hormone-disrupting oxybenzone. Popular sunscreen brands like Rite Aid, Neutrogena, and Coppertone routinely landed in EWG's more dangerous sunscreen list, meaning millions of people are being exposed to questionable chemicals.
EWG found that in general, zinc- and titanium-based mineral sunscreens offer stable, lasting protection from UV rays without penetrating the skin the way their chemical counterparts do. The nonprofit does note, though, that wearing sun-protective clothing and staying in the shade during peak sun hours should also be included in any sun-protection program.
But when it is time to turn to sunscreen, there are much less toxic options on the table. Here are 10 of them...
Safer Sunscreen Picks
- Ava Anderson Non-Toxic Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+
- Badger Baby Sunscreen Cream, Chamomile & Calendula, SPF 30
- Badger Sport Sunscreen Cream, Unscented, SPF 35
- California Baby Everyday/Year-Round Sunscreen Stick, SPF 30+
- COOLA Suncare Sport Moisturizer Classic Sunscreen, Unscented, SPF 45
- Juice Beauty Oil-Free Moisturizer, SPF 30
- The Honest Company Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Suntegrity Skincare 5-in-1 Natural Moisturizing Face Sunscreen, Tinted
- Suntegrity Skincare Natural Mineral Sunscreen for Body, SPF 30
- Yes to Carrots Nourishing Daily Moisturizer, Fragrance Free, SPF 15
Most Toxic Sunscreens
- Well at Walgreens Sport Continuous Spray Sunscreen, SPF 30, 50, and 90
- Well at Walgreens Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 55 and 100
- Vichy Capital Soleil Soft Sheer Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 60
- up & up Sport Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30 and 50
- up & up Sport Sunscreen Continuous Spray, SPF 15 and 30
- up & up Kids' Sunscreen Sun Stick, SPF 55
- up & up Sport Continuous Spray Sunscreen, SPF 30
- up & up Kids' Sunscreen Continuous Spray, SPF 50
- Trader Joe's Nourish Spray Sunscreen, SPF 50+
- RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Daily Moisturizer, SPF 30
- Rite Aid Wet Skin Kids Continuous Spray Sunscreen, SPF 70
- Rite Aid Ultimate Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen, SPF 55, 70, and 85
- Rite Aid Tugaboos Baby Continuous Spray Sunscreen, SPF 50
- Rite Aid Renewal Wet Skin Continuous Spray Sunscreen, SPF 30 and 70
- Rite Aid Renewal Sport Continuous Spray Sunscreen, SPF 30 and 50
- Rite Aid Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 60, plus other Rite Aid sunscreen products
- philosophy miracle worker anti-aging lotion, SPF 50
- Neutrogena Wet Skin Spray Sunscreen, SPF 30, 50, and 85+
- Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Daily Facial Lotion, SPF 15
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen, SPF 55, 70, 85
- L'Oreal Invisible Protect Dry Oil Spray Sunscreen, SPF 50+
- Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Clear Mist Spray Sunscreen, SPF 15 and 30
- Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70+
- CVS Age Renewal Firming & Hydrating Moisturizer, SPF 30
Check out EWG's 2014 Guide to Sunscreens to see a complete list of the safest sunscreens (the lower the number rating, the better) and the most toxic sunscreens (the higher the rating, the more toxic).
skin care and healthy hair
Up-and-coming acne treatments may help clear stubborn acne. Learn more about new acne treatments and what they can and can't do for you.
Here's help understanding sunscreen ingredients, types of sunscreen and more.
What to eat to protect your skin from sun damage and wrinkles.
These are the best fruits and vegetables for healthy, glowing skin
The secret to healthy skin just might be hiding in your kitchen.
Follow this 6-step routine for a healthy, gorgeous complexion—for life.
Even if you don't feel any older, your face can give you away. Here's how to look as youthful on the outside as you feel on the inside.
These celebrities shine with a classic beauty and prove aging can be done gracefully.