(HealthDay News) -- Infection with a norovirus, sometimes called stomach flu, causes symptoms such as vomiting, fatigue and diarrhea. The virus is easily spread in crowded, contained areas such as nursing homes or cruise ships.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests how to help prevent the spread of norovirus infections:
- Thoroughly and frequently wash your hands with warm water and soap. Always wash hands after using the bathroom, before preparing food and after changing a diaper.
- Thoroughly cook foods, especially seafood, and wash all produce before eating.
- If you are sick, do not prepare food for other people until at least three days after symptoms have stopped.
- Thoroughly disinfect any potentially contaminated surfaces with a bleach-based solution.
- Wash all clothing and linens in a long, hot cycle in the washing machine and then dry in the dryer. Wear rubber gloves when handling contaminated laundry.
be well, feel better
From sleeping in to using vodka in place of hand sanitizer, check out the surprising stay-well secrets that real experts swear by.
In the dregs of winter it's easy to get down. So we reached out to Keri Glassman, nutritionist and author of The New You and Improved Diet, for some tips on how to keep those blues at bay.
Eat more and get slimmer (we promise!) by shopping from this list of truly satisfying, cravings-curbing foods.
How to fight colds, heartburn, joint pain, allergies, and other ailments by choosing the right food.
Arsenic in rice! Toxins in salmon! GMOs everywhere! Before you freak, find out which scares are worth your worry.
Feeling tired more often than not? Girl, we feel you: A study from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention showed that women are typically more exhausted than men. (Running the world takes it out of you.) So we asked Shilpi Agarwal, MD, and Equinox group fitness manager Jenn Hogg for eight ways to stay alert throughout the day.
If you have more than a few drinks a week, the calories start to add up fast. Slim your drink order with this expert advice.
Turn up your body's fat burn with these healthy foods.