5 ways to burn 500 calories
Slim and sculpt belly and back muscles in 45 minutes with this tricked-out pool routine from Olympian Sheila Taormina, author of Swim Speed Workouts for Swimmers and Triathletes. No more endless crawl-stroke laps!
Lipstick, Make Up For Ever Aqua Rouge in Iconic Red, $24; bikini, TYR Sport, $50, TYR.com; cap, $20, and goggles, $75, Speedo, SpeedoUSA.com.
Shock muscles and tone like mad during this sick-quick—26 minutes!—kettlebell plan from Lorna Kleidman, creator of KettleX.
How to swing: Stand with feet hip-width apart, knees soft, and bring 'bell between legs and slightly behind you. Thrust hips forward to swing weight up to chest level. Immediately drop back to start; repeat.
Do a ladder with a 15-pound kettlebell.
- Double-arm swings, 60 seconds
- Push-ups, 30 seconds
- Single-arm swings, 35 seconds for each arm
- High knees, kettlebell held overhead, 35 seconds
- Single-arm swings, alternating arms, 80 seconds total
- Shuffle feet fast in place holding kettlebell at chest, 40 seconds
- Double-arm swings, 90 seconds
- Jumping jacks, pressing kettlebell overhead on each jump (start slow), 45 seconds
- Single-arm swings, 50 seconds for each arm
- Alternating jumping lunges, holding kettlebell at chest, 50 seconds
- Single-arm swings, alternating arms, 110 seconds total
- Bent-over row with kettlebell, 30 seconds for each arm
Reverse it. Do the last move again, continuing back to the first move to finish.
Top, Nesh NYC, $76, NeshNYC.com; watch, BreraOrologi.com.
Your fuel for this 35-minute sweatfest: a one-of-a-kind playlist from instructor Michael MacNeal, creator of the insanely popular Monster Cycle workout. Match up your leg speed to its beat using any upright stationary bike to torch five-oh-oh.
Legs like whoa. This routine's mix of hills and heavy resistance earns you lean, toned thighs—no bulk!
It's all about the music! Go to Self.com/playlists to download these sweet jams via Spotify.
Top, $129, and shorts, $84, ActiveAngelz.com; sunglasses, RLX Ralph Lauren, $160, RalphLauren.com; gloves, $35; Specialized.com.
New Yorkers are wait-listed for trainer Jay Blahnik's rower-meets-toners ShockWave class at Equinox. But you can do his custom version of the 45-minute sculpt-a-thon whenever.
Have 10-pound weights handy.
- Row, keeping a steady, strong pace, 500 meters.
- Do front-lunge pass-throughs. Stand next to rowing machine, a dumbbell in one hand. Do a forward lunge, passing weight from one hand to another through front leg with each rep, alternating legs for 1 minute.
- Rest 15 seconds.
- Row, picking up speed. Push hard against foot pedals, 500 meters.
- Do Russian twists. Sit on floor, leaning back with abs engaged, knees bent and raised in V-sit position, holding a dumbbell in front of chest. Twist torso to tap weight to floor on right side, then left, for 1 rep. Do 5 reps, then hold a right-side plank for 10 seconds. Do 5 more twists, then hold left-side plank. Repeat for 1 minute.
- Rest 15 seconds.
- Row as fast as you can, 500 meters.
- Do dumbbell thrusters. Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, a dumbbell in each hand, palms facing in and elbows bent so hands are at shoulders. Squat, then press weights overhead as you stand. Repeat for 1 minute.
- Rest 15 seconds.
Repeat circuit 4 times. With each additional round, aim to finish the row a few seconds sooner and do 1 to 2 more reps per move.
Sports bra, Onzie Active Apparel, $42, Onzie.com; shorts, CA by Vitamin A, $58, JacksSurfboards.com; bracelet, UP by Jawbone, $130, Jawbone.com; watch, Puma, $90, Shop.Puma.com; sneakers, $180, Adidas.com.
Your love-hate relationship with the treadmill is about to be all love. Toggling between inclines, lunges on the belt and all-you've-got sprintervals makes 42 minutes fly by. Trainer Mark Harari designed the plan based on his PulseTread cardio app.
Amp it up. The secret to hitting double-digit miles per hour: Lean slightly forward and pump your arms.
Styling, Lida Moore Musso; hair, Daven for Celestine Agency; makeup, Jenna Menard for Clinique; model, Elyse Knowles at Wilhelmina L.A.